Emotional Sounds and Sights Surrounding Election Night Speakers

What will I remember from this historic election when I was one out of nearly 120 million U.S. citizens who cast votes for President of the United States? I will remember the emotional outpouring by the supporters and candidates. I heard sentiments filled with warmth and hope, and displays of meanness, an emotional spectrum that both made me concerned about reactions to the victory and gave me hope in the collective pride of U.S. citizens.

I watched and listened as McCain gave his concession speech and was saddened by the loud booing from the crowd when Barak Obama’s name was mentioned. The booing rose to a crescendo a second time when Senator McCain remarked that the people had decided that “Senator Obama and my old friend Senator Joe Biden should have the honor of leading us for the next four years.” What a divisive and shameful reaction in the midst of a gracious speech.

I was also struck by McCain’s offer of bland thanks to Governor Sarah Palin, completely devoid of any warmth and sentiment. He acknowledged that she is an impressive new voice. I think no one would argue with that statement which carries both a positive and negative connotation. It reminded me of a wedding thank you I wrote for a gift I truly didn’t appreciate, but still wanted to express my thanks for the thought of good wishes. Likewise, McCain’s weak hug of Palin following his speech looked more like an obligatory pat on the back than an embrace of appreciation. And I was saddened to hear the loudest cheers during McCain’s speech when he mentioned Palin, not when he recognized America’s greatness or patriotism or coming together as a country.

Thankfully, my low following McCain’s concession speech was uplifted by the passionate speech and euphoric crowd support during Barak Obama’s acceptance speech. As a spouse and a mom, I was overcome with emotion when Obama ardently expressed his love for his wife saying, “I would not be standing here tonight without the unyielding support of my best friend for the last 16 years, the rock of our family, the love of my life, the nation’s next first lady, Michelle Obama.” My emotions swelled as he called upon each and every American to look not only after ourselves, but each other. He will work with us and for us to improve the lives of all Americans, and in turn, I believe of many around the world. I will remember the emotion in Obama’s face of thanksgiving for support of a country, how his smile was tinged with the emotional gratitude to so many who worked with him and who believed in him and who ultimately voted for Barak Obama to be the 44th President of the United States of America.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Poor Sarah Palin, sent to Alaska by the rebelling press, I'm getting emotional, She really knows Russia...