Sharpies and Dashboard Cameras


Where did the Carnival Cruise passengers get Sharpies to write on their sheets?  Does everyone in Russia drive around with a camera on their car dashboards? 

These are the questions that bubble up as I try to focus on the news of the day.  Inevitably I completely miss the reporter announcing when and where the cruise ship will dock as I watch the video footage of the ship with large handmade signs hanging from cabin balconies.  Large white sheets I quickly realize are easy to come by as a blank canvas.  But what did they write with?  I doubt I could make large dark bubble letters with the pens and pencils that fall to the depths of my travel bag.  Did Carnival hand out Sharpies just for this purpose?

Similarly, as I watch amazed at the meteor.  It was a meteor until it hit the ground right? What an abrupt way to get a name change!   In any case, as I watched the amazing footage of the meteor glowing across the sky, I quickly wondered, who are all these people driving around with cameras on in their cars?  Are these all police officers?  Or do citizens commonly run video cameras on their dashboards in Russia? 

So let me know—did you hand out all those Sharpies?

1 comment :

Mia said...

Apparently someone at Wired wondered abou the dashboard cams too http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter. Too bad Sharpies aren't high tech -- like to get Wired's investigative reporters on that as well.