Olympic and Presidential Fantasies

Where are the Olympics when we need them? I’d even take a good Red Sox-Yankees pennant race over the tension of wondering how the November presidential election will turn out, not to mention the endless commentary I can expect over the next 2+ months. Or possibly 3 months if we repeat our road trip to the Supreme Court. At least Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert will have plenty of material to offer up for entertainment.

So I will go back to fantasizing about the Olympics even if I need to wait for 4 more years to fulfill my Olympic dreams. As a child I idolized Cathy Rigby—‘Cath’ as my sister would use to taunt me while I tumbled on our front lawn. Actually, more often on my neighbor’s front lawn so I could avoid the rampant Chestnut burrs across my front lawn. I imagined myself swinging around the uneven bars, flipping on the beam, landing each dismount without a wobble.

Many years later, here I am still fantasizing about excelling at the Olympics. Like a mid-life career change, however, my fantasies have shifted. Now I imagine orchestrating a fantastic technical presentation, with fireworks and music and performers and lights and color and illusions and more performers all mixing into one stupendous visual extravaganza. Oh, wait, I think that was done. I was in awe. My whole family was in awe at both the technical feat and the human triumph. Despite the cover-ups, the Opening Ceremony was no less mystical and inspiring. Perhaps our presidential hopefuls and their cadres of staffers and supporters will align in perfectly concentric circles while we watch in anticipation each unifying step. My fantasies know no bounds.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Remember your B-day a Charlie Beiggs? How earlier that day we told you (no, not the kitten) off for practicing the uneven bars with your gold and Silver medals around your neck? Your being awfully humble now...;-)